Which best describes what you are looking for?
Whether your main goal is fitness, birth prep, or postpartum recovery, we help develop safe exercise programs for every trimester.
Packages and Individual Sessions available below.
Request a Group Workshop. Here are a few topics we can cover:
Preparing for Postpartum Recovery
Safe Exercise Modifications
Want to exercise but feeling lost?
You are not alone. This is a common reason that expectant moms reach out to us.
Even though there are many known benefits to most women during pregnancy, some obstetric providers may not be fully comfortable discussing recommendations for exercise during pregnancy with you (McGee et al. 2018).
If your provider isn’t even comfortable discussing this topic, how are you supposed to figure out how to safely exercise and adjust your workouts between morning sickness and a changing body? That requires a lot of energy you may not have.
Work with us and we can help you adjust your program each trimester so that you can save your energy for your workouts and quiet your fears. We will even help you tailor exercises to prepare for birth and recovery after your baby arrives (ACOG 2020).
Active Mom Wellness Programs
Work with our pregnancy specialist, Alex
Typical wellness goals we help with during pregnancy:
- Continuing exercise you were performing pre-pregnancy with safe exercise modifications (ACOG 2020)
- Improving fitness and initiating new exercise safely (ACOG 2020)
- Preparing for birth (ACOG 2020)
- Improving postpartum recovery time (ACOG 2020)
- Transitioning to exercise after discharge from PT or clearance to begin exercise
- Improving performance safely during pregnancy
- Preventing injury with your workout program
Our Wellness programs typically consist of exercise and lifestyle education for preventing injury, promoting healthy lifestyle and improving quality of life. Integrative approach considering diet*, activity, mental health*, physical health.
We will help you find the right program for you
We believe success starts with getting to know you BEFORE you commit to working with us. Understanding where you are in your journey and your goals is vital to creating the right program for you. This is why we start with a discovery call.
Wellness Services are not a replacement for Physical Therapy Services or healthcare services and you can rest assured that screening for conditions that are better addressed with PT is included when working with us. Clearance to exercise is a requirement for any Wellness Program. Please discuss this with your provider prior to initiating wellness services and share any restrictions discussed.
- a discovery call to discuss your goals and determine the right services for you; we will schedule your evaluation at the end of this call
- a fitness/wellness evaluation that looks at how you are currently moving, which may include an assessment of your abdominals, pelvic floor (externally), breathing, strength, coordination/balance, scar tissue healing, and body mechanics – this varies based on your individual needs
- a discussion of where you are in your journey
- an individual plan and program to address your goals – with wellness services, you are really in the driver’s seat, so your provider may make recommendations, but we will make a plan together that works around your expectations!
- Treatments may include:
- Manual therapy (hands-on treatment)
- Home Exercise Program
To help determine which service is right for you, try asking yourself this question: What is my main goal?
Is your main goal to address pain or difficulty performing your daily activities? Then services generally begin with Physical Therapy.
Is your main goal is more to address fitness, prevention of injury or improve performance? Then Wellness Services are likely a better fit.
Typical Women’s Health Physical Therapy complaints we help with postpartum:
- Trouble returning to pre-pregnancy levels of activity
- Pain or difficulty carrying and lifting baby
- Diastasis recti and other changes to your abdominals
- Feeling tired, sore and worn out at the end of the day that keeps you from enjoying what you want to do after baby goes to bed
- Postural pain with breastfeeding
- Pelvic Girdle/SIJ pain
- C-section scar pain
- Back pain
- Neck, shoulder, back, hip, knee and foot/ankle pain
To learn more about Pregnancy Physical Therapy Services, contact us.
We can offer small group workshops at your request.
Active Mom Group Fitness Workshop Options
- Pregnancy Prep
- exercises that generally help prepare for birth
- Postpartum Recovery Prep
- exercises tailored to help reduce recovery time (ACOG 2020) and prepare for baby care postpartum
- Safe Exercise Modifications
- Learn how, when and why to modify exercises during pregnancy to reduce your fears and get you moving
Taught by Alex Courts, a doctor of physical therapy with post-doctorate training in pregnancy corrective exercise and obstetrics. These classes may help to prevent injury and optimize your performance. These classes are not a replacement for physical therapy services or healthcare advice and can be a great transition from physical therapy to fitness.
To get updates on our upcoming workshops, join our newsletter or contact us to inquire about scheduling a private class.
Care that is convenient to you
We don’t want a trip to the clinic to be a barrier, so we primarily come to you. Some problems can be best solved at home.
- how to use your equipment
- workstation setup
- sleeping setup
- birth prep
- teaching your partner comfort measures
If it’s space you need, we also have clinic space available. Our sessions are still private and one-on-one so that you can make the most of your time. We have select clinic times.
- when addressing leakage or pelvic floor pain are a primary focus
- for those who have difficulty relaxing in their home environment
- for those who just prefer getting out of the house
Our goal is to think outside-of-the-clinic. If you like learning and exercising in the community, contact us today to get on the waitlist or to request a new one.
- Pregnancy Prep
- Preparing for Postpartum Recovery
- Safe Exercise Modifications during Pregnancy
- Reconnecting with Your Abs
- Postpartum Return to Exercise
- Ready to Run
Get our latest free tips before and after baby
How to return to exercise, time-saving tips, when to expect feeling like yourself again and more!
Stay informed without having to go back to school
Physical Activity and Exercise During Pregnancy and the Postpartum Period: ACOG Committee Opinion, Number 804. Obstet Gynecol. 2020 Apr;135(4):e178-e188. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000003772. PMID: 32217980.
McGee LD, Cignetti CA, Sutton A, Harper L, Dubose C, Gould S. Exercise During Pregnancy: Obstetricians’ Beliefs and Recommendations Compared to American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists’ 2015 Guidelines. Cureus. 2018;10(8):e3204. Published 2018 Aug 25. doi:10.7759/cureus.3204
Pregnant person in yoga pose: Joanna Malinowska
Pregnant person exercising with coach: Pavel Danilyuk
*The changes of motherhood are more than physical. Behavioral changes are often a part of physical therapy, however, mental, emotional and psychological changes that are impairing your ability to function should be addressed by a mental health provider. You can find perinatal mental health support here.
**Estimates are subject to change. We cannot guarantee a particular result or cost due to the nature of physical therapy services, however we will do our best to answer your concerns based on our knowledge and experience.
***Discussion of diet is provided within the scope of physical therapy practice and is not intended to replace services by a registered dietician; further referral may be necessary and will be determined on an individual basis.
****Testimonials on this site are not paid. Some of our testimonials have been provided by clients who have made purchases and some by attendees of free workshops, classes or services.