POSTPARTUM PHYSICAL THERAPY
Tending to your needs isn’t selfish.
It can actually benefit your baby even though it is common to feel that it is taking away from them in some way.
Pain, changes to your abdominals, pressure and leakage may be common postpartum, but that doesn’t mean there is nothing you can do about it.
I will help you get back to doing what you love so that you can feel like yourself again and take care of your baby with a little more ease.
Let me be your guide through this physical* transformation.
Work with our physical therapist, Alex
Typical women's health complaints we help with Postpartum:
- Trouble returning to pre-pregnancy levels of activity
- Pain or difficulty carrying and lifting baby
- Diastasis recti and other changes to your abdominals
- Feeling tired, sore and worn out at the end of the day that keeps you from enjoying what you want to do after baby goes to bed
- Postural pain with breastfeeding
- Pelvic Girdle/SIJ pain
- C-section scar pain
- Back pain
- Neck, shoulder, back, hip, knee and foot/ankle pain
We will help you find the right care for you
Unfortunately, postpartum physical therapy is not currently the norm here like it is in other countries. Fortunately, even if your provider did not make a referral yet, you can still work with us in the state of Ohio. We respect and encourage your ability to make informed decisions about your care, your body and your baby. We still encourage you to talk with your provider about what is bringing you to seek physical therapy services as we do not replace your medical provider. It is our common practice that we alert your primary provider of our findings so that we can all be on the same page.
We also believe in working together. We don’t “do it all” and we don’t expect our clients to either. Alex has had post-doctoral training in a variety of pregnancy and postpartum topics and she is skilled at assessing and addressing the complaints she treats externally. She does not perform internal evaluations at this time. If you would like to have an internal pelvic floor assessment completed, you can request our list of providers that we or our clients have worked with in the past by contacting us. If during your care, we feel that you need to see a different specialist, we will discuss this with you. You can rest assured that you are in capable hands.
Formal evaluation and plan of care created to directly address pain or inability to perform your daily activities.
- a discovery call to discuss your goals and determine the right services for you; we will schedule your evaluation at the end of this call
- an initial evaluation that looks at how you are currently moving, which may include an assessment of your abdominals, pelvic floor (externally), posture, breathing, strength, coordination/balance, scar tissue healing, and body mechanics – this varies based on your individual needs
- a discussion of where you are in your postpartum recovery journey compared to realistic recovery timelines based on the evaluation findings
- review of a comprehensive plan of care/services that will typically include an estimate** of frequency of visits as well as services to address your goals
- Treatments may include:
- Manual therapy (hands-on treatment)
- Home Exercise Program
To help determine which service is right for you, try asking yourself this question: What is my main goal?
Is your main goal to address pain or difficulty performing your daily activities? Then services generally begin with Physical Therapy.
Is your main goal is more to address fitness, prevention of injury or improve performance? Then Wellness Services are likely a better fit.
Typical Women’s Health Wellness Goals:
- Return to Exercise after birth with or without pelvic pain, incontinence, diastasis recti, and pelvic organ prolapse both during and after pregnancy
- These services may be appropriate if you have been discharged from PT or been cleared to exercise or do not have a current injury and still have performance goals or would like to improve overall fitness and wellness
- It is never too late to work on postpartum fitness; postpartum is forever and addressing issues from pregnancy and birth are an important step in long-term health for women, including taking steps to prevent osteoporosis and other changes during menopause
- These services are not a replacement for physical therapy
To learn more about Postpartum Wellness Services, go here.
Care that is convenient to you.
We don’t want a trip to the clinic to be a barrier, so we primarily come to you. Some problems can be best solved at home. Here are just a few that we help clients with:
- how to use your equipment
- breastfeeding setup
- baby care
- lifting from crib
- baby wearing
- workstation setup
- sleeping setup
If it’s space you need, we also have clinic space available. Our sessions are still private and one-on-one so that you can make the most of your time. We have select clinic times. Here are a few reasons moms choose the clinic:
- when addressing leakage or pelvic floor pain are a primary focus
- for those who have difficulty relaxing in their home environment
- for those who just prefer getting out of the house
Our goal is to think outside-of-the-clinic. If you like learning and exercising in the community, contact us today to get on the waitlist for our next workshop or to request a new one. Here are some of the workshops we offer:
- Reconnecting with Your Abs
- Active Moms
- Postpartum Foundations
- Ready to Run
GET OUR LATEST FREE TIPS BEFORE AND AFTER BABY
How to return to exercise, time-saving tips, when to expect feeling like yourself again and more!
*the changes of motherhood are more than physical. Behavioral changes are often a part of physical therapy, however, mental, emotional and psychological changes that are impairing your ability to function should be addressed by a mental health provider. You can find perinatal mental health support here.
**estimates are subject to change. We cannot guarantee a particular result or cost due to the nature of physical therapy services, however we will do our best to answer your concerns based on our knowledge and experience.